Welcome to the Hospital Association of South Africa (HASA) – the industry body which represents the vast majority of South Africa’s private hospitals. HASA acts as the link between private hospitals and government, other local and international healthcare stakeholders, the media and public.
HASA’s members are united behind the Association’s commitment to widening access delivering professional excellence, growth, quality healthcare and transformation. We are dedicated to providing our stakeholders with the best service, and partnering with government as it goes about its mission of improving the nation’s health. As South Africa moves towards the implementation of a National Health Insurance scheme, HASA and its members are committed to playing a positive, active role in developing a better healthcare system for the country.
On this website, you will find information about our organisation and its members, as well as valuable research and documentation about the country’s private hospital and healthcare sectors.
- Members of HASA include the following groups: Mediclinic, Life Healthcare, Netcare and the National Hospital Network (NHN).
- HASA’s 212 members constitute more than 80% of South Africa’s private hospitals by bed numbers.
- Our members’ facilities are home to more than 28 000 beds.
- In 2011, HASA members paid around R5.9 billion in tax and employed some 64 000 people.
- In 2010, HASA’s economic activity directly and indirectly contributed R110 billion to the economy, supported 218 000 jobs and generated more than R17 billion in tax revenue.
- During the recent recession, HASA members increased employment by 4.4%, whereas total employment decreased by 5.85% in the broader economy.
- For each employment opportunity created by HASA member hospitals, 2.4 additional jobs are sustained by these private hospitals throughout the economy.
- HASA members account for 1.8% of South Africa’s total capital stock, valued at R92.7 billion.